Owasso is more than 100 years old! 1904-present
Owasso, Oklahoma is a fast growing suburb located about 11 miles North of the City of Tulsa, in Tulsa County. Owasso is part of the Tulsa Metro Area.
Owasso is an Osage Indian word meaning "Turn Around" or "End of the Trail." The "End of the Trail" painting is our official symbol or logo of Owasso.
This symbol is found all over town, from police badges to a large mural on the side of the Historical Museum building on Main Street.
The Historical Museum, since April 1, 2003, is owned, operated and maintained by the City of Owasso
Owasso officially became a town under Indian Territory laws in 1904, then was later chartered as a city on September 28, 1972, with Joe Ross serving as the Owasso mayor.
Later in December 1972, Noble Campbell became the first Owasso city manager.
On, April 1, 1974, The city Seal was adopted.
EVENTS FROM 1904 TO PRESENT:
1904 - Owasso officially became a town.
March 2, 1905, The first church service was held at the Owasso Baptist Church on 76th Street North/Birch Street.
In 1907, Owasso had approx 379 residents within its town limits at the time Indian Territory became the State of Oklahoma, (map) on Nov. 16, 1907.
In 1949, the first florist shop opened on the West side of Owasso by J.R. and Phyllis Glasgow.
By 1960, the U.S. Census Bureau stated that Owasso's population went up from 379 in 1907, to 431 in 1950, to 2,032 in 1960. A large part of the growth was contributed to aviation opportunities that created jobs at the north Tulsa airport.
In 1964, the major highway to Tulsa, U.S. 169, was widened to four lanes from Oklahoma 266 to north of 76th St North.
During this time, Owasso was fast becoming known as a bedroom community due to the large number of people that chose Owasso as their home and commuted to the Tulsa area for work everyday.
In June 1973, Owasso annexed 555 acres into the city limits, instantly doubling it in size.
During the 70's and 80's the Tulsa Port of Catoosa (just East of Owasso), the nation's largest inland port, opened to barge traffic and Industrial Parks were being built around the Port.
Soon after to present day, the Cherokee Industrial Park, just west of Owasso, started being built, adding more job diversification to the Owasso area.
In 2015, the new Macy's Fulfillment Center opened its huge facility just West of Owasso, on 76th Street North between Memorial and Sheridan, near the Cherokee Industrial Park.
In 1980, The Owasso population had now grown to a little over 6,000 in size.
In May 1984, Owasso opened a new post office off of 86th St. N.
In 1989, U.S. Hwy 169 was rerouted east of the old highway and extended north ( four lanes) to Collinsville Ok, 146th St. North.
In 1997 the highway 169 was constructed all the way north to Oologah, Ok.
Owasso Population growth expanded from 11,151 in 1990 to a little over 18,000 in 2000. A large part of this growth created many opportunites for new businesses, such as retail, fast food franchises, a movie theatre, restaurants, banks and medical offices.
In 2000, the 24 hour Owasso Walmart Supercenter and Kohls clothing store opened off of 96th St N in the Owasso Market shopping center.
Lowes then followed along with other retail shopping favorites.
Owasso was becoming known as the fastest growing community in Oklahoma.
New Housing developments and Schools were being built throughout the Owasso City Limits to accomodate the rising population.
In 2004 construction started of a four-story Owasso Medical Center known today as St. Johns Hospital- Owasso, near 96th/Hwy169. Bailey Hospital was built shortly after near Garnett and 106th St. North.
In 2005, The Smith Farm Marketplace, a fifty million dollar, 348,082 square foot shopping center located along highway 169/96th in Owasso, Oklahoma was being built.
This Shopping center would feature big names like Target, Belk, Hobby Lobby, Pets Mart, Pier One, and more.
This was the largest, single retail development in the history of the City of Owasso, expecting to hire 800 to 1000 employees.
In 2005 the population of Owasso expanded to 23,771.
According to United States Census Bureau , in 2021 Estimated population expanded to 38,732.
Disclaimer: These population amounts are estimates and deemed from reliable sources, but not guranteed. Reader should verify all information.
In 2018, the growth of Owasso, continues at a rapid pace with modern apartments, new subdivisions, banks, urgent care facilities, big and small retail stores, hotels and more.
The City's primary source of income is sales tax. Primary employment is retail and service related.
Compared to the rest of the country, Owasso's cost of living and average commute time is lower than the U.S. average.
Around town, you can spot bronze statues of children playing. It is the city's "Timmy and Cindy Project."
Adding to our parks, Owasso has a Community Playground, Funtastic Island, at the Owasso Sports Complex on east 116th Street North, between Garnett Road and Mingo Road.
Owasso has Block Parites in the fall, and in summer "Art in the Park" at the Friendship Park Gazebo between the YMCA and St. Henry's Church, on the Hwy 169 service road, and Owasso Farmer's Market
Owasso has an Owasso Community Theatre Company, and Owasso Community Resources at 109 N. Birch, serving families and children.
Owasso loves parades! The Easter Parade, then in May Owasso celebrates the Trail Days Festival beginning with a parade; 4th of July parade, Veterans Day Parade, Thanksgiving Parade, and a Christmas Parade.
Our Pride of Owasso High School Marching Band has received First Divisions in the OSSAA marching competition for the past 41 consecutive years, performed in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and has made five appearances in the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade.
In March of 2014, Owasso High School Band, was named "Best Overall Band" in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, Ireland.
The Owasso Rams Baseball Team Saturday won the 6A state title over Westmoore in 2015. This is state championship number 13 for Owasso baseball.
The first World Title for the city was in 2003, when the Owasso 8th grade Odyssey of the Mind team became the OM World Champions.
Owasso's Kelley Scott was crowned Miss Oklahoma 2004. She graduated Owasso High School and was also crowned Miss Owasso for 1999 and 2002, and is former Miss Tulsa, and former Miss Western Plains.
Owasso has a low crime rate. The city is protected by our well-staffed Police Department and Fire Department, with a state-of-the-art "enhanced 911" system that provides immediate response in emergency situations.
Our Owasso Family YMCA has a state of the art facility, which has the first Owasso indoor pool; Plus features a gym, locker rooms, and a strength & conditioning room.
Beauty lies in Owasso. Just southwest of Owasso are 3,000 acres of beautiful terrain with caves and bluffs called the Stone Canyon development. 640 of the acres are committed to a common public area, including ongoing development of an 80 acre lake with docks for sailing, serene walking trails, and a highly rated Stone Canyon Elementary School.
Love to play Golf? The Patriot Golf Course was designed by one of the world's elite golf architects, Robert Trent Jones. The golf course winds its way through Stone Canyon's native grass lands and tree lined canyons bestowing its outstanding views upon golfers.
DID YOU KNOW... Owasso became home to....
JC Penney at 9056 N 121st East Avenue, in 2009. ( More Shopping Centers.)
The Tulsa Technology Center, a $12 million, 138,000 square foot vocational technical center in Owasso. The 30 acre campus is located between 106th and 116th streets along Highway 169.
Two Owasso Hospitals, St. John Owasso Hospital (96th Street North at Hwy 169) and Bailey Medical Center (106th/Garnett Road); and Numerous Medical Clinics.
For entertainment, one can visit AMC Owasso 12, Movie Theater; or a 32 lane, state-of-the-art bowling center, "The Lanes at Coffee Creek," located at 10301 N. Owasso Expressway.
Owasso has a newer Police Department building and City Hall. Owasso Recycling Center & Disposal Station; Animal Shelter; a 77 acre Sportsplex; a $4 million wastewater treatment facility; almost fully occupied Owasso City maintained cemetary, Fairview Cemetary, East of 76th/Hwy169; Bailey Ranch Golf Course, an 18-hole municipal golf course; Library;, and Post Office.
You can start a neighborhood watch group by contacting the Owasso Police Department, 918-272-2244.
Did you know... we have a Christmas Tree and Blackberry/Blueberry Farm in Owasso?
Do you know any interesting facts about Owasso? -- or new places?
Let us know of any additions or corrections
Page content provided by Gilda Smith, Owasso Realtor®/Agent
Top of Page
Owasso History & Today
Owasso Memory Lane
About Owasso Directory
Owasso Main Town Page
Copyright 2002-2023 by OwassoInfo.com
Comments | Disclaimer
Web Design copyright 2002-2023 by Snowhawk